Apr 27, 2021
Have you ever wanted to sit on a selection committee or get more involved in the local film scene? Do you want to help make an impact on the local arts community?? Are you in need of some extra cash???
Annually, the Winnipeg Film Group provides upwards of $50,000 a year in funds and service awards to independent filmmakers in Manitoba. Each of these awards and funds are adjudicated by a jury of peers, including active filmmakers and film professionals, artists, arts administrators and cultural workers. We are looking to maintain an evolving roster of potential peers that we can call on to help us disperse our various awards and funds.
Being on a selection committee requires reading submissions, watching support material, thinking critically about a project’s artistic and social impact and along with fellow peers, discussing and coming to a decision on what projects will be funded. The time commitment varies depending on the amount of submissions, but averages around 5-10 hours total.
A good peer exhibits the following qualities:
1. Ability to think about and engage with a project critically and clearly articulate those thoughts to others
2. Keen interest in the moving image art form
3. Objectivity and a lack of bias
4. Ability to reach consensus through respectful discussion and debate
5. Solid understanding of the Manitoba film/arts landscape and how a project may impact it
6. Attention to detail and thoroughness
What are the perks of being a selection committee?
1. Getting paid for your time and work!
2. Networking with other artists and arts professionals in your community!
3. It’s a great thing to add to your CV!
4. Knowing that you’ve helped make a difference to an independent filmmaker!
If you are interested, please email Production & Training Coordinator Karen Remoto: email@example.com